Search This Blog

Friday, April 2, 2010

Michigan Parents who are being prosecuted for support

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

"The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan and the Michigan
Innocence Clinic asked an appeals court today to overturn the felony
conviction of a Detroit woman who was too poor to pay more than $1,100
a month in child support"

If I were a parent in substantially similar circumstances, I would consider contacting both the ACLU and the Michigan Innocence Clinic.

ACLU of Michigan
http://www.aclumich.org/get-help/submit-complaint

Michigan Innocence Clinic
http://www.law.umich.edu/centersandprograms/clinical/Pages/InnocenceClinic.aspx
(Click on "application")

If I were a father, I would make it a point to share with other fathers the results of my requests.

If I were a father in such a situation, I might be concerned that there may be some gender bias in handling requests for assistance in handling these 'debtors prison' cases by these entities. As a non-lawyer, I believe must offer their services in a non-discriminatory manner. However, I might be concerned that they would be reluctant to offer the same services to fathers as they have to mothers.

To mitigate my concerns, if I were such a father, I would make contact with other fathers making similar requests and advocates interested in ensuring justice for all parents. If I observed that all, or substantially all, of our requests were rejected, and if we felt it was due to our gender, then I might ask others to consider file complaints directly with these organizations as well as the national ACLU, the University of Michigan, various elected officials, the various governmental civil rights boards, and the Michigan Bar Association.

Sincerely,

Doug Dante

http://www.scribd.com/DougDante

 

Darrick Scott-Farnsworth

Executive Director www.AChildsRight.net www.daddyblogger.com 

Cell 269 209-7144 or Nextel DC ID 130*112*19287

True Conservative: Pro-Life, Liberty and Property

 

No comments:

Post a Comment